Friday, June 28, 2013

Wendy Davis Is My New Hero






Wendy Davis is my new hero. This week Republican lawmakers in Texas were about to pass a draconian bill that would have closed 80% of abortion clinics in Texas. In an amazing stance, Democratic state senator, Wendy Davis took over the state floor for an unbelievable 13 hour marathon filibuster without any coffee or bathroom breaks. Her efforts successfully caused the vote on the bill to miss the deadline. Davis has now received national attention from the media for her heroism. In tribute to Davis I’ve drawn her iconic, pink running sneakers that she wore on the night of her filibuster. Davis has now announced that she will run for governor of Texas, if she has enough support, prompting current republican Governor Rick Perry and the right wing media to attack her. Thank you Wendy for everything you do and sticking up for women’s voices. I feel as if republican lawmakers are trying to drag this country back into the dark ages before modern medicine existed. I've said this many times and I'll say it again that I will always support a woman's right to choose what to do with her own body over anyone's personal or religious opinion about abortion.

No comments: