Thursday, December 8, 2011

Ten Occupy Wall Street Heroes In Ten Days: Susie Cagle


Day nine in my Ten Occupy Wall Street Heroes in Ten Days series is journalist and cartoonist Susie Cagle. Cagle was tear-gassed and arrested during the Occupy Oakland protests while covering the event. I was on twitter following live updates of the Occupy Oakland protests when I heard of Cagle’s arrest as it happened. Cagle’s Dad, political cartoonist for MSNBC, Daryl Cagle posted this shocking video of Susie being tear-gassed on his website. Here Cagle talked with ABC7 News about her arrest by Oakland police. I really wanted to include Cagle because she is a fellow artist and as an artist I think her participation in the movement matters enormously.  In a way I feel like every artist should be involved in the occupy movement in some form although sadly, many of the artists that I know of have remained silent on the issue for the most part. For more info and to view some of Cagle’s illustrations from the scene, her blog “This Is What Concerns Me” can be followed here.

No comments: